Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Vanish by T. Gerritsen



Vanish by Tess Gerritsen

So let me start by saying that I love the characters of Rizzoli and Isles but I first encountered them through the T.V. series alter egos and not through the books; and boy if that doesn't tick me off.   I am a firm believer of books being better than any Hollywood version that could be created.  I love the portrayal of strong, funny, confident, capable women characters; which Rizzoli and Isles fit the two sides of that female archetype.  However, I met the Holywood versions first and so when I picked up this book, I had to readjust the parameters of how I viewed these characters (probably should have started with one of the earlier books in the series).

Vanish is I believe the fifth book in the Rizzoli and Isles series.   This book fits into my Light Snack for the Brain category of reading; though a quick and easy read, it did tackle an issue that, while aware of, I don't really know much about.  The book is formulaic but is written with a sense of wit that I enjoy.  The characters are brassy giving them the feel of people you wish you could hang out with.    The overall theme of the book tackles the realities of human trafficking in the United States and quite blatantly states that it is often happening right in front of us, but we refuse to see,  "People see what they expect to see. It never occurs to them that terrible things can look pretty" (pg 136).

As I said, I had to adjust my concept of the main characters because in the book world, Jane is married and about to be a mom.   Other than that, I will let you enjoy this quick read that is just fun if you are into the mystery/ crime genre of current popular fiction. Enjoy the fun of getting to know the book version of these two classy gals!

  • Mass Market Paperback: 432 pages
  • Publisher: Ballantine Books; a edition (August 29, 2006)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0345476980
  • ISBN-13: 978-0345476982

No comments:

Post a Comment