Saturday, August 17, 2013

Lyon County Fair Food: Emporia, Ks

Lyon County Fair in Emporia, KS

Fair time elicits a lot of loyalty and emotion in this former 4-H'er. Every summer, after school let out, thoughts of fair projects began.  There was plenty of time to create some amazing things for the judges and each year I just knew I would get that Grand Champion ribbon so I could go on to compete at the State Fair.  Of course being a typical child/teen I spent the summer playing, running around or working for money- not on my projects.  So procrastinate all summer; then stress out and pull all-nighters to get the projects finished; get up early and spend anxious, nervous minutes waiting to be judged; Then after a brief conversation, a ribbon awarded, it was time to enjoy the fair.   As a kid the LC Fair was an event for the whole town.  Every night the parking lot was packed full, often overflowing into other parking lots across the street.  Grandstand events meant that the Cloverleaf Diner would be busy feeding the packed stands and kids like me would learn about customer service and counting change (a very important lesson that has served me well in life).   Commercial and nonprofits lined the walkways, the carnival was full of lights and screams; to me it was always a magical time.  

The food however..... that is what still resonates with my senses when fair time comes around.   There is something about food that is only available for a limited time that makes it so much more delicious.   Though the LC Fair's glory days seem to be waning (but I have faith that it can always turn around) the food of the fair still calls to me to head out to the fair grounds and take it all in. So here, without further ado, are my particular fair favorites.

The Nun Tacos: St. Catherine's Church


When I was a kid, there weren't a whole lot of people who knew about the small Catholic Church that served the Mexican-American community on the South side of Emporia.   However, a fundraising campaign, to build a new building that involved selling tacos, soon changed that. So in the 90's the taco fundraising really took off.   Soon the news of the tacos spread throughout the community of Emporia and the rest has become the stuff of legends.  Just like a food truck with a large following, the little St. Catherine's bus has become a magnet for the foodies of Emporia. The tacos became affectionately known as the "Nun Tacos" because of the wonderful Mexican Nuns that tirelessly work along side the parishioners of St. Catherine's.   Over the years they have added burritos, nachos, tostadas, and tamales.   For many years they would head out and set up at the fair and the throngs would come.  Running their stand from 5-?? often the lines began around 4:30.  If you didn't get there early, then there was the extreme possibility that you would get sent home empty handed or would have to chose from a more limited options.  Alas, because of the economy (or they were just too popular and couldn't keep up) they no longer set up on the fair grounds (which has had a tremendous affect on turnout).  Never fear though, they still serve during fair week, just down at their little south side parish; which is great news for addicts like me!  Pictured above are my two particular favorites- fried tacos and tamales.   The tacos have just the right amount of grease and spices to hit the spot (especially when topped with the homemade salsa that has a bit of a kick to it).  The tamales are a great balance of pork and cornmeal shell.  IF you see the little bus stop by and get a delicious treat while supporting a wonderful community in Emporia.


The Cloverleaf 4-H Diner

The 4-H diner will always occupy a very special place in my heart and the food seems to be better every year (though it is likely just the same).  The food that makes the diner special are the homemade, home grown additions that you just don't get in most places.  Walking up to the order window and seeing all those lovely little 4-H kids anxious to take your order often causes a little giggle.   Pictured above are some of my personal favorites.   The Cloverburger (with or with out cheese) is served with your choice of garden raised tomatoes and onions.  Wrapped in foil now (used to be wax paper) the burgers are served dry and the condiments are on the table for you to top off as you see fit.  Me, I enjoy that awesome burger topped with all the garden deliciousness and nothing else.   The polish dog with kraut is reminiscent of the best ballpark treats I have had. The dog is cook perfectly and the warm kraut has just enough juice to make that bun stick tight to the dog.  Then the homemade Rhubarb pie.... now this is just one of a variety of choices that changes as the week progresses; strawberry, gooseberry, strawberry/rhubarb, raisin cream, peach, apple.  Each as delicious as the next.  Of course this is all topped off with the classic glass of brewed iced tea.  The perfect summer meal that hits the spot every August.


Funnel Cakes

Last but certainly not least is the quintessential fair time dessert- Funnel Cake.  Now I have some specific preferences when it comes to my funnel cakes and the classic cakes booth is my preferred vendor, though there are often several others that are at the fair.   Funnel cakes hit the spot for me when they are the size of a dinner plate and not thick or "piled" cakes.  I find that the cakes actually cook to a more perfect ratio, with no doughy areas in the middle, and retain less grease.  Although there are many topping offerings, I go for the classic powdered sugar.  This sugar will inevitably fall, fly, float and land at whatever I have on, indicating to all I pass....

"Yes, I just gorged myself on fair food, topped it off with a funnel cake and I am dang proud of it!"


No comments:

Post a Comment