Thursday, September 5, 2013

CoCo Ichibanya Okinawa, Japan


CoCo Ichibanya, also known as The Curry House, is a wonderful treat that you can enjoy in a variety of locations.  This was the first restaurant I dined in after arriving in Okinawa, and had the pleasure of having a second time before I departed (though I forgot to snap a picture the second time).  The restaurant offers a variety of curry dishes that can be made to fit your specific flavor desires.  Warned by our host that you should not order anything above a spice level of five (scale of 0-10) unless you have eaten here before, I was fairly cautious with my first dish.  I selected the special (at least that was my understanding as it was on a separate insert) of Mincemeat and cabbage with root vegetables, spice level four.  This was delectable and the perfect fit for my spice taste.  The root vegetables were tender, flavorful, and complemented the pan fired mincemeat/cabbage patty.  The rice and sauce was very filling and made the dish hard to actually finish.  This dish was a hit for me.

The second time I ordered a chicken curry with a spice level of five because I had caught a cold on my travels.  I am sure that my taste buds were not exactly as sharp as they normally are, but the spice level was perfect to help open up those sinus passage ways.  I would agree with our host that anything above a five on the spice level is for people who specialize in highly spicy food.   

Overall, very filling and tasty.  It was an interesting introduction to the restaurant scene in Okinawa.  Service is friendly, patient, and really quick.  I would recommend this stop to travelers in Okinawa.  Depending on exchange rates, most dishes are in the $10-13 American dollar per person.
This company does have some Stateside locations in California, but based on the website, it appears there are some differences in menu options.   
  


No comments:

Post a Comment