Friday, September 6, 2013

Mike's Tex-Mex, Chatan, Okinawa; Japan

Tex-Mex was the last thing I thought I would be eating when I boarded a flight to Okinawa, Japan.  However, the world is getting more and more culturally, socially, economically integrated so I suppose I should not have been surprised to find Mexican inspired restaurants in Okinawa.  However, there were some different menu offerings that I decided to taste test. Chips, salsa and guacamole are a staple of the Tex-Mex dinning experience, and in that regard there was not a lot of difference here.  The guacamole had fewer added spices leaving it almost straight avocado; while the salsa was very runny and almost sweet rather than spicy.

The most unique menu item was a Stir fry Mexican Rice dish. It was pretty fabulous even if I did eat it with a fork rather than chopsticks.  The blend of corn, peppers and seasoning gave the dish a Tex-Mex flavor even if it appeared to be more of an Asian fried rice dish.  


Again, not the expected cuisine but a nice surprise.  Flavorful and unique it was a good stop.  Service, as always was the case in Okinawa; was prompt, courteous and friendly.  Depending on the exchange rate the cost was $12-15 per meal without drinks.  Although this was a decent restaurant, I would not rate it as a must dine while traveling but more of a "if there is time" and you want to try something a bit familiar but unique.




No comments:

Post a Comment