Saturday, September 7, 2013

Ocean Blue Cafe, Okinawa, Japan

Inside the absolutely stunning aquarium in Okinawa, Japan there is a lovely little cafe you can stop and grab a bite to eat.  This cafe sits along the floor to ceiling windows of the three story tank in the center of the main aquarium building.  Inside of this tank you see a variety of aquatic life ranging from rays to whale sharks. 

 The tank is definitely a highlight of the aquarium visit and the little cafe provides a variety of light snacks to keep your energy up as you tour the vast complex.



As I perused the menu options I was torn between the Taco rice and the Taco balls.  At the time these seemed to be the most interesting options to me though neither sounded very Japanese in nature.  However, I would later come to find out that Taco Rice is a very popular dish in Okinawa and is available in many of the restaurants.  I decided however to go with the Taco Balls and some Green Tea Ice Cream.  Yes- I am aware that this is not the most recommended flavor combination, but this is what I do surprisingly frequently.  The taco balls were a finely ground beef with taco seasoning that had been balled, breaded, and fried.  They were actually quite delicious and I found myself thinking, "gee, I am surprised that this deep fried concoction is not seen in the states..."  I am sure that these have made a stateside appearance but I have not personally encountered them before.  The green tea ice cream was delicious as always (I really really like green tea ice cream).

So if the Okinawa Aquarium is on your tourist agenda, remember to leave a little room for a light snack in the cafe.  There is something very surreal about sitting in front of a tank of aquatic life, most of which is bigger than you are, and snacking on some delectable treats gazing at the swimming forms.  A trip highlight recommended to anyone heading to the area. Depending on exchange rates $5-10 per menu item.





No comments:

Post a Comment